OMG kill me now...
I agree with something President Bush said! Usually, the inanity that spews forth from his lips just makes me ill, but I'm stunned and shocked - he said something that I agree with!To wit: "I think people who want to be citizens of this country ought to learn English," Bush said.
(from a Yahoo! article here)
I am proud of America and its status as a melting pot. I love that we have diverse people that live here who speak so many different languages and represent so many different cultures.
HOWEVER...I do not agree that just because they immigrated to the US, that we should cater to them. I do not approve of people who immigrate here and don't bother to learn the language, insulating themselves in their own society.
I mean honestly, if I moved to France, Russia or some other non-English speaking country, I certainly wouldn't expect everyone there to speak to me in English! I wouldn't expect them to change their signs and governmental forms to include English versions! I would learn the language, either before or after I moved there, so I could actually participate in society!
Come to America, learn English, dammit! Absolutely keep your cultural and linguistic identity...teach your children your native language too...but learn the language of the country you've chosen to live in!
That being said, I am almost sick that Bush said something I actually agree with. Ugh.







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home