philosophy + humor...fun combination
I read this bit of humor on the "Flawless" list, a fan mailing list for Lucy Lawless...One day in ancient Greece, a loyal student of Socrates informed the famous philosopher that he (the student) had some news about a fellow student. Instead of simply asking the student to tell him the news, as most people would, Socrates said to him, "Before you tell me your news, let us examine whether it passes my three-stage test of value."
"What do you mean by that?" the student asked.
Socrates replied. "Well, the first test is for thruthfulness. Do you know absolutely that what you are planning to tell me is in fact true?"
"Well actually no," the student answered. "Another student gave me the information, and I trust him but don't actually have any proof."
"Then we will apply the second test," Socrates went on. "On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is a matter of life and death, how important is your piece of news?"
The student considered this and then answered, "Oh about 5, I suppose. It seemed very important at first, but in the terms you use, I am not so sure now."
Then Socrates asked, "Then finally, is this news going to be of some benefit to me or to someone I care for?"
The student spent several seconds considering that and finally said, "Probably not."
Then Socrates said, "Well, if you're not sure that it's true, and it isn't very important, and it isn't of any great benefit, then is there really any point in telling me?"
"No, I suppose not," the student admitted. "I praise your great wisdom in this matter."
Then the student went away and told friends what had happened.
That's how Socrates became known as a truly great Philosopher, and also explains why Socrates never found out that his wife was having it off with Plato.
As I was reading it, I was warmed by the wisdom of the "three-stage test of value" as it applies to all gossip in life...but the punchline made me laugh!







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home