guess we're still ugly Americans....
Europeans Lament a 'Changed' AmericaWe already had a bad reputation for being arrogant self-centered pushy tourists...now our country as a whole is getting a bad reputation?
When I was in college in the late 80's, some friends of mine did a semester of study overseas. I remember most of them came back saying that they'd learned quickly not to admit to being American when people asked them where they were from. Some said they were from Canada. Others said they got a much warmer response when they said they were from California specifically, rather than from America.
Apparently, due to television, California itself is a pretty good place to be from...just not "America".
It's kind of depressing actually. Our world is getting smaller. America cannot afford to alienate other countries simply because we are the #1 power in the world. There's a lot of responsibility to being in that position, and with the world getting smaller and smaller as technology and the media invade our lives, I think it's a mistake for us to come off looking like the class bully.
One day we're all going to just be one world and we're going to need to be on good terms with, and play nice with, the other countries in power. God I hope we get that bastard Bush out of office.







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home