Tuesday, September 14, 2004

leaving Las Vegas....

Back from Vegas, and boy was I ready. I can really only take a few days of that place at a time. It took me all of 4 hours to walk from Treasure Island down the strip to New York New York, criss-crossing the street, moseying through the casinos, sight-seeing the new edifices in all their capitalistic glory to the greed of humankind. In other words...I came, I walked, I saw, I'm done.

The new casinos were nice in their way, but their differences didn't really make up for their sameness. One can only take so much dinging and whistling of slot machines.

In a nutshell:
* Bellagio - expected much, got little...boring
* Venetian - lovely inside and out, cool canals, hoity-toity shopping (Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, etc. - similar to Caesar's)
* Aladdin - love the Arabian theme, shops more down-to-earth (Ann Taylor, Sharper Image, etc.)
* New York New York - great roller coaster, the rest: YAWN, needs better ventilation
* Paris - interesting to have the feet of the mini Eiffel Tower come through the casino ceiling, nice wrought-iron accents everywhere, too crowded!
* Mandalay Bay - HUGE convention center (where hubby was), missed the shark attraction, forgettable shopping, lovely decor

Saw two shows, both great. "Mama Mia" at Mandalay Bay. Disco is one of my secret guilty pleasures, and I love ABBA, so this was a really fun show to see. Plot-light, but the singing was great, the lead guy was cute, and the story had a happy ending. Definitely recommend it! And we saw "We Will Rock You" (on it's second night after opening) at the Paris - the rock musical based on the music of Queen. Again kind of plot-light, but awesome music, great costumes, and a ton of fun. As I looked around the audience during the songs, lots of people were singing along. =)

Played a little blackjack, lost my money but had a good time. Got blisters on both feet from all the walking. Bought some new clothes, got my hair cut (length went from waist to cut off at the shoulders - what they snipped was donated to charity...kids with cancer I think).

Missed my wee one greatly. I got all choked up in the car on the way to the airport after leaving him at my parents house. Had nothing to do with worrying about him, but with leaving him. All the time in Vegas, I had this "I'm missing something" nagging feeling...sort of similar to that feeling you get when you leave the house without your purse...you feel just...WRONG.

But I'm back, and my wee one seemed no worse for wear. His face has changed a bit though...it looks different, like the bones moved around just slightly. And he's still sick (and so am I). Stuffy nose, green icky phlegm (both of us), and now he's developed a cough. Thankfully, our doctor had an opening this afternoon. After work, I'm picking him up and taking him in. Poor little guy. He's still having trouble sleeping because of his stuffy head.

And I'm going back to Vegas next week!! To see my sister and her hubby, who are renewing their wedding vows for their 5th anniversary with the help of an Elvis impersonator. It ought to be REAL interesting. =) And I'm bringing the wee one too, which ought to make it MORE interesting. Just gonna have to take things as they come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home