Wednesday, July 28, 2004

so far so good...

Well, my wee one seems to have gotten the "sleeping through the night" thing down now, for the most part. For the past few nights, he's been put down and not been offered a late night feed. And from what I can tell, he hasn't missed them.

Two nights ago, he woke up and fussed quite loudly around 1:30am. I got up and went in to check on him and his diaper had leaked, and he was soaked. Unfortunately, I had to completely change him and his clothes, which woke him up all the way and so he realized that he was hungry. He wouldn't go back down without eating.

So my theory, for what it's worth, is that he's still getting hungry in the middle of the night, but he can now sleep through it until the 6am feeding, whereas before the hunger would wake him up.

We've also started feeding him more solids during the day, especially in the hour before bedtime...pureed carrots, sweet potatoes, bananas, applesauce, and peaches. I think this has helped him sleep through the night somewhat by having something more than just liquid (formula) in his tummy. From what I've read in various places, the jury's out on whether solids are really a factor in sleeping better, but from our experience it seems to be the case.

Hubby seems to think the next big milestone will be weaning him from the pacifier. I want to get comfortable with this one before thinking about moving on to the next one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home