Thursday, July 22, 2004

Work Foo Continues -- Mail

And back to the continuing adventures of Gabbie and the OL (Office Lady)!

Entitled:  Mail Addressed Attn:  Gabbie

I rarely get work-related correspondence, when I do it's because I specifically asked.  Yesterday, quite by accident I discovered that OL, is (has been?) opening my mail, handling it herself, and not telling me. 

It's *really* embarrassing when you call a client to ask whether they'd mailed the paperwork and find out, while still on the phone (as OL talks over you) that she'd handled the matter already.  Or,  better still, OL waits until I've hung up to tell me she'd done that already.  So I have to call the client back and apologize.

So, calming myself, I explained to OL that for tracking purposes, I would rather open my own mail.  When she opens my mail and fails to inform me, this creates a bit of a problem for me.   [Was really pleased with myself because I kept calm and professional]  Unfortunately, despite my rationale, she declined.  She said she didn't want to miss any critical calendaring issues.  (blink blink... why would *I* get critical calendaring documents?  That's not my job!)

Unfortunately, talking to her face to face is awkward.   She generally gets really quiet angry and bulls up.  So, I apted for email (cringe, I know, lesser of two evils?)  and through email reassure her that my correspondence won't have 'critical calendaring materials' and explain why it's okay to give me my mail."  (Rolling eyes, I *never* thought I'd have to be explaining to someone why it's okay to GIVE ME MY MAIL!)

So... now we just wait and see what the response will be!
Gabbie
(who wants her little powder compact back right now!)

1 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Like I said hon...start opening mail addressed to her. "What? This is your mail? Well, since you open mine, I figured we'd switched identities and that I might as well start opening this stuff." hee hee

Hugs hon! Please post and let us know how it went!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home